Thursday, August 16, 2012

Paint.


What is so hard about picking out paint? There are thousands of tints to choose from. There are even these little color guides to help pick juuust the right shade. There are all sorts of tools and ideas out there... surely a person could have a hay-day picking out a brand new color for their abode.

Except for me. 

I was born with many talents. Interior decorating, cleaning and choosing colors to go on my walls semi-permanently are all things that I am completely challenged with. And when there are more options, it becomes harder and harder. Oh sure, what's the big deal? You buy a color you like and throw it up there. Voila. Done. Except the problem is, I find that when that one color I like is spread all across the wall (or in this case, the exterior of our house), it turns into a beast, staring me down as if challenging me. "Do you want a piece of me?? Do you?" I also do not want to redo it if I completely hate it. Thus, I choose with extra caution, consulting my better half time and time again. 

Don jokingly pointed out this crazy purple color. I looked at the swatch and then chuckled with the sight in my mind of my "front door" neighbors frantically running out of their house with their arms flailing, "STOP! Crystal! Did you know he's painting your house purple?!?!" Lord, spare us all. We would surely be THAT house in the neighborhood... When giving directions, the neighbors would now say, "Go until you see the purple house... yes, I said purple... and then take a right..."  I'm sure the traffic would line up in front of our house as if we had 10,000 twinkling Christmas lights set to music in the middle of July. Anyway, I digress. 

But I might as well have chosen purple with the amount of time and energy it is taking me to pick even the simplest of colors. Do we want to stick with yellow but punch it up a bit? Then I think it'll look good two-tone... dark on the bottom and light on the top. or vice versa. or maybe we should stick to one color.  *sigh*  But ANYTHING but neutral (which is sounding better all the time b/c you  just can't go wrong with it.) It's exhausting... for me.

Please let it be done soon! (and let me be happy with it!) 

Crystal Mc

1 comment:

Paula said...

When Tom was in grad school in Boston, we lived in a pink house. We would tell people we lived in Belmont, in the pink house. And everyone knew where it was. It was actually very convenient.